2013 Season for Nonviolence
Violence is a loud voice calling for help. It impacts our health and welfare, our local economy, the environment, and more.
For the fourth year, the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence is responding by inviting local organizations, schools, businesses, community groups and individuals to be a part of A Season for Nonviolence. The Season, launched at the United Nations in 1998, marks the sixty-four (64) days between the anniversaries of the assassinations of Mohandas K. Gandhi on January 30 and that of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on April 4.
For the 2013 Season for Nonviolence we are excited to announce:
- A second year of a community outreach campaign from Rochester’s Ad Council: TV, radio, print, and billboards, and plans for messaging at local malls, sporting events, movie theaters, and beyond;
- A steering committee including the Center for Dispute Settlement, ArtPeace, RIT, Central Library’s Safe to be Smart Program, Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, Rochester Friends Meeting, University of Rochester, the Center for Youth, First Unitarian Universalist church, and others;
- 75 youth leaders to be trained in anger management, violence
de-escalation, restorative justice, and more;
- Collaboration with faith communities to reach shared goals;
- Support from Foxwise Communications to create robust and creative social media outreach to young people.
The Season for Nonviolence was observed last year in 900 communities and 67 countries. Rochester’s campaign was among the largest. More importantly, our collaboration with universities, libraries, youth organizations and faith communities has contributed to building a network of people who work together for community change all year long. On behalf of dozens of volunteers, and on behalf of the thousands of people who will be touched by this campaign, please support this effort. Click here to become a sponsor now.
In Peace and Hope,
Director, M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence
Check out this video about the 2012 Season for Nonviolence, made by Anna-Kristina Pfeifer: